For months I've been working on a post regarding a possible link between learning disabilities and CHD, specifically in children who have undergone open heart surgery. It wasn't until I saw a recent Facebook post and comment thread from It's My Heart that I realized I couldn't possibly create one all encompassing post about this topic.
We all know that every child is different. Every CHD is different. Every pregnancy is different. Every labor and delivery is different. Time spent with an undiagnosed CHD after birth is different. Every open heart surgery is different. Time spent on hypothermic circulatory arrest (HCA) or low-flow cardiopulmonary bypass (LFB) is different. The number of surgeries per child is different. Whether or not the child suffers(ed) from seizures plays a role as well.
So many factors come into play that we can only wonder or speculate about the cognitive and developmental future of our own child. As heart parents, only we (and maybe a few doctors) know to what extent our child has been affected by their special heart defect.
That's why I decided NOT to try and choose one specific study to share with my readers. Each study I read online is different. Some conclude good neurodevelopment outcomes for CHD children after surgery, some not. Some discuss specific CHDs and surgeries in their studies, others don't. Most of the studies are outdated, so consider that along with fact that new technology has been introduced since. All of this matters when you read these studies.
The following are links to many different studies that I've found online. I will keep adding to this list as I continue with my research.
A Systematic Review of Motor and Cognitive Outcomes After Early Surgery for Congenital Heart Disease
Factors Influencing Neurologic Outcome After Neonatal Cardiopulmonary Bypass: What We Can and Cannot Control
Open-heart surgery at school age does not affect neurocognitive functioning
Increasing duration of deep hypothermic circulatory arrest is associated with an increased incidence of postoperative electroencephalographic seizures
LATE NEURODEVELOPMENTAL OUTCOME AFTER PEDIATRIC CPB - 1995-2002
Attentional dysfunction in children after corrective cardiac surgery in infancy
Neurocognitive consequences of surgically corrected congenital heart defects: A review
Neuropsychological performance in school-aged children with surgically corrected congenital heart disease
Inattention, hyperactivity, and school performance in a population of school-age children with complex congenital heart disease
Neurodevelopmental Outcomes After Staged Palliation for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
Arterial switch with full-flow cardiopulmonary bypass and limited circulatory arrest: neurodevelopmental outcome
Intellectual, neuropsychological, and behavioral functioning in children with tetralogy of Fallot
Neurodevelopmental status at eight years in children with dextro-transposition of the great arteries: the Boston Circulatory Arrest Trial
Neurodevelopmental outcome after congenital heart surgery: results from an institutional registry
Risk of Seizures in Survivors of Newborn Heart Surgery Using Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest
Neurologic Sequelae of Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest in Cardiac Transplant Infants
Neurodevelopmental outcomes after biventricular repair of congenital heart defects
Cerebral regional oxygenation during aortic coarctation repair in pediatric population
Early childhood health, growth, and neurodevelopmental outcomes after complete repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous connection at 6 weeks or younger
Regional Low-Flow Perfusion Versus Circulatory Arrest in Neonates: One-Year Neurodevelopmental Outcome
The short term effects of cardiopulmonary bypass on neurologic function in children and young adults
Systemic venous oxygen saturation after the Norwood procedure and childhood neurodevelopmental outcome
Heart Defects in Newborns Linked to Brain Abnormalities
Modified ultrafiltration may not improve neurologic outcome following deep hypothermic circulatory arrest
Cardiopulmonary Bypass for Uncomplicated Heart Surgery Does Not Contribute to Loss of Neurocognitive Function in Children


