Meet Bobbi, 34, who fell into that 3% category. Luckily, the CHD's were discovered in utero with both children, so treatment was immediately available:
What are the names and ages of your kids?
Johnathan is 4 years old and Jennessa is 2 years old.
What CHD does each child have?
Johnathan has Pulmonary Stenosis and other multiple defects. Jennessa has Tricuspid Atresia.
What surgeries have your children been through?
Johnathan had open heart surgery for the BT Shunt and to fix other problems at 1 month, then the Glenn at 9 months and the Fontan at 2 years. Jennessa had open heart surgery for the BT Shunt at 1 week, then the Glenn at 5 months and the Fontan at 2 years.
Do the kids require oxygen at home or need feeding tubes?
Johnathan had a stomach tube placed at 3 months. It was taken out in May of this year (4 yrs old). He has been eating very well. The only time Johnathan had to have oxygen was after his second heart surgery at 9 months. He came home on oxygen and it took 4 months before he was able to stop it. Jennessa didn't have any problems at all with feeding or has ever needed oxygen at home.
Does either child see a physical therapist or occupational therapist, etc.?
Johnathan sees a speech therapist and Jennessa hasn't needed to see anyone.
Did you work before having kids?
I was working before and after I had Johnathan. I was a pharmacy tech. My husband and I arranged our schedules so one of us was always with Johnathan because he was so fragile and had a feeding tube. It worked great until I got pregnant with Jennessa. I was pressured to abort her by the doctors. When I decided to keep her I also decided I was going to quit work to take care of them. My husband backed me on everything. I haven't worked since Jennessa.
What do you and your kids like to do together?
Go to the park, take walks, watch tv, read, ect.
What is a typical day in your household?
Oh my! Jennessa is 2 so I have a lot of fits I have to deal with! My days were harder when Johnathan had his feeding tube and scheduled feedings. Things are more relaxed now and less planned out. We just play and have fun!
We get up at 7am for meds and breakfast. Lunch around 11 or 12. Dinner around 5pm and both in bed by 7pm. Johnathan sleeps all night. Sometimes Jennessa does and then there are nights she constantly gets up and crawls in bed with me. Last night was one of those nights! I have to keep putting her back in bed.
How are the kids doing now?
Johnathan is doing great! He has a low immune system that the immunologist said his body will catch up in time. He is a little behind with speech but he was also born at 32 weeks. Jennessa is also doing great! She has no set backs and seems more like a 3 yr old than a 2 yr old!
Do you have family nearby to support you?
I didn't when I had my kids. We lived in Las Vegas at the time. It was just my husband and I supporting each other so through the most difficult times with surgeries. It was a very emotional time but we made it through. Now that we moved back to Indiana, we have all of my family here. It feels great to be around family again.
What gets you through the tough times?
Staying positive and taking it one day at a time. Crying where no one can see me just to get it all out :)
Thanks Bobbi, for sharing your story! Chloe had to have only one open heart surgery and it was extremely difficult! I can't imagine going through three open heart surgeries each with two children. The second time around you may know more, but that doesn't make it any easier. You were definitely chosen to have these CHD babies and I am so happy they are both doing well!



Great story and great information! Thanks for sharing with us! Always nice to hear positive stories...
ReplyDeleteBless you, Bobbi! I also had two HRHS babies, but they were 13 years apart. My oldest died from surgery complications at 9 weeks old. My youngest is 3 and going very well as a 1 1/2 vent.
ReplyDeleteKelly, love the blog!
Lisa @
All That and a Box of Rocks
I have such respect and admiration for my dear friend, Bobbi! She is a truly amazing woman, mother, wife, and friend!
ReplyDeleteSeptember 15th, 2009
ReplyDeleteHi Bobbi,
Thank you for sharing your story.
Our Elisabet was born with a very minor heart defect, a narrowing of the pulminary valve. Minor, yes, but it required open-heart surgery when she was one week old and her heart was th size of a plum. But she was sent to a special ward for heart surgery for children in Lund, in southern Sweden. They did a marvelous job. In Lund we also got to meet other parents of children with heart defects. It sure made us feel that our problems were minor compared to many other's. Since then she has only needed to be checked once a year and now once every three years.
There was nothing to prepare us for this. I felt as if I had justed "landed" in a strange new country when we had to go to Lund after giving birth to Elisabet. Nothing showed up in the ultrasound pictures. She was a wee bit early, but not really premature. But she was little compared to "normal" babies; weighing 2410 grams at birth.
It must have be difficult to go back for other operations. Luckily, Elisabet did not need a shunt. So far, she has not needed more surgery. But the doctors will not say anything about the future.
I mention all of this so that you know that I really do feel for your situation and wish all the best for your children. I am glad to hear that your husband had backed you in this.
You are a wonderful mother!
Yours faithfully,
Christina Wigren (aka "Anna" of "Anna's Adornments")
Oh my!! You are amazing!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story. I really like the part that you put in about tube feedings. That is what I am dealing with right now. Some days it really gets me down and out! It is so frustrating. Thanks for letting me know it will get better. My blog is www.bedwellfamilyoffive. My carepage is www.carepages.com Visit: Babybedwell
ReplyDeleteHeart Hugs x's 2, Susan (mom of Mackynlee)